Friday, April 30, 2010

Friday Five: Songs about life's journey

I have often found myself desperately searching every corner of the internet for songs for lyric analysis. By the time you decide on a topic for discussion and read a dozen song lyrics for appropriateness, you may turn to YouTube only to hear that the song of choice is in a style straight out of the '70s disco era. And as much as you respect that genre and all, it is most likely that you will not be able to convince your clients aged twenty- and thirty-something that "Funkytown" is where it's at.

Honestly, starting from scratch with a lyric analysis is difficult for me. When I begin my internship, my supervisor will no doubt have plenty of songs tried-and-true for discussing coping skills and feelings of loneliness. But at the moment, I am stuck at the computer or in the car jotting down lyrics of songs I hear on the radio.

The songs in this list are perfect for discussing the paths you take in life, the fork in the road, and the bumps in your way. These lyrics are all about life's journey. If a client should say "You really like songs about roads" (which they have said to me), it makes all the more opportunity for sharing your reasons for sticking so loyally to this theme.

1. "The Long and Winding Road" by The Beatles (rock, 1970). The long and winding road that leads to your door will never disappear.
2. "Lodi" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (classic rock, 1969). Looks like my plans fell through; oh Lord, stuck in Lodi again.
3. "Lost Highway" by Bon Jovi (country rock, 2007). In my rear-view mirror my life is getting clearer; the sunset sighs and slowly disappears.
4. "Life Is A Highway" by Tom Cochrane (rock, 1991), covered by Rascal Flatts (new country, 2006). Well, life's like a road that you travel on, there's one day here and the next day gone.
5. "Everyday Is a Winding Road" by Sheryl Crow (pop rock, 1997). Everyday is a faded sign, I get a little bit closer to feeling fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment