Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Around the world in 60 minutes
Today at the BHC I observed a great activity to increase cognitive stimulation and socialization. Read on for a little lesson in geography:
iPod and speakers
Music from different countries
Maps of continents (optional)
Some knowledge of the region you are covering
1) Choose a continent to focus on and hand out maps if they are a available. When I did this, the activity used maps in a coloring book. Patients colored each country in a different color as they listened to music.
2) Begin at the northeastern-most country on the map. In the case of North America, it was Canada. Talk about some of that country's history and culture. Ask the clients what they know about that region.
3) Play popular music from artists that were born in that country. Alanis Morissette, Celine Dion, and Nickelback are all singers/groups from Canada.
4) Repeat steps 2 and 3 by continuing through the map.
5) Give your clients a brief verbal quiz to gain an idea of whether they improved in session.